Friday, May 27, 2011

Storms, Storms and More Storms

They have a saying here in the hills,
“Thunder roars stay indoors”.
 


I find that thunder and lightning storms are a lot more frequent here than on Guam. Yes, on Guam we had our fair share of storms, typhoons, and tropical depressions; but lightning and thunder storms there seem to be a rare occurrence in comparison to here in West Virginia.

I remember as a kid they had all these rules for safety in case of a thunder and lightning storm. On Guam, I never really had to bother with the rules because I always seemed to be indoors during a storm. Here my chances of being caught outside are a lot greater. So, for the safety of everyone lets go over some the rules if you should ever get caught in a storm such as this:

The Rules


  1. Never. I repeat never ever stand under a tree for shelter. It might be great for keeping you dry; but trees are fantastic lightning conductors and your chances of being struck by lightning are greatly increase.
  2. Try to seek immediate shelter. Your vehicle with the windows rolled up is a great place to hide if you are miles away from any shelter. If your vehicle is nowhere near you try to seek a cavern or a ravine.
  3. If you are found out in the open during a storm with no means of shelter you need to assume a “lightening ready position”. This means you need to get down in a crouched position with both feet touching the ground and your hands over your ears.
  4. I do realize I am not the first person to ever write on the topic; but I do hope you will find my entry helpful. Here are few websites that might help answer some of your storm questions. I have also included a C.P.R. website for emergency purposes. Please watch it; it could save a life one day.







Children and Storms


Last night during a lightning and thunderstorm my two year old was frightened. This was the first time she had ever shown fear because of a storm. As a mom I wanted to make her feel better and assure her that everything was fine; but the more assurance I gave her the louder she cried. I was at a loss of what to do for her; but as a mother I feel I need to have all the answers. So, I decided to do some research on how to better handle the situation for the next storm. In reality as a mother, we don’t have all the answers seek out sites such as “Moments of Motherhood” of “Circle of Moms”. These sites are created for moms to band together for the common good. Well, the things I have learned from these sites are:

Storm Days Fun Days

1.    Make a game of it! Come up with a silly reason as to all the commotion. Say something like, “What’s that? Oh, I think the giants are moving again. Oh dear, I believe the baby giant spilled their toys all over the floor”.  
2.     Put on your best face. Don’t show your child that you are concerned about the storm, even if you are. Your child is super smart and can sense when something is wrong. They can also tell when you are worried. Showing that you are worried will cause your child to worry as well.
3.    Make it a family time. Grab the flashlights, dim the lights and have a shadow puppet show. Read a storybook to your child. Do some arts and crafts. Show your child that storm days can be fun days too!



You never know, you and your child may end up having so much fun that you might forget that there is even a storm outside!

3 comments:

  1. Nice post, Emmy. The tips you offered on what to do during a lightning storm are really helpful.

    We don't have too much lightning here (just a whole lot of rain), but I remember while living in Florida, we had a ton of lightning storms. I kind of miss them, so long as I'm indoors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if you heard of these tips, but someone told me that it's not safe to use the phone lines or to take a shower during a lightning storm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks :) I think I will find myself having to do a lot more research about anything and everything having to do with the way of life around here. Well, it is all apart of my adventure here in West Virginia.

    ReplyDelete